Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Why Go?


The reasons why I chose Costa Rica are not stunning to many people who know me. I enjoy the unknown and love an adventure! My personality is vibrant and willing to accept bold challenges anywhere in the world. In addition, I have a yearning experience other cultures foreign to my own. If someone examined my passport, they would find entry stamps from India, Argentina, Canada, and Spain. So far I have only experienced a few destinations, but I have time -- I'm only 22!

Leading upto college graduation, my best friend David and I expressed interest in traveling somewhere and doing something fun during the summer. We explored the possibilities before we diverged in different directions: hiking the Appalachian Trail, spending a week at the beach, taking a cross-country roadtrip or WWOOFing in Central America. The last option sounded the most exciting but money was the tightest concern. We chose Costa Rica because it seemed the best -- exotic wildlife, tropical climate, beach access, and an opportunity to speak Spanish. In addition, Costa Rica is filled with WWOOF volunteer farms that catered to our liking! So far so good, but at the last minute, David had to back out for personal reasons.

His decision did not deter me from embarking on this adventure. I found a bargain fare through Spirit Airlines for $370 roundtrip (Atlanta to San Jose) and confirmed my dates - July 3 to August 11. The entire month of July, I will work on organic farms through a network called WWOOF. In exchange for room and board, volunteers cultivate crops and learn about sustainable techniques of organic agriculture. I have chosen 2 farms to work: a cacao bean/chocolate farm in Mastatal near Puriscal called La Iguana Chocolate and a tropical fruit plantation in Uvita called Finca Carolina.


For readers not familiar with WWOOF, I posted a brief description of the WWOOF organization: WWOOF’s aims to provide volunteers with first-hand experience in organic and ecologically sound growing methods to help the organic movement, and to let volunteers experience life in a rural setting or a different country. WWOOF volunteers ('WWOOFers') generally do not receive any financial payment. The host provides food, accommodation and opportunities to learn, in exchange for assistance with farming or gardening activities. The duration of the visit can range from a few days to years. Workdays average 5–6 hours and participants interact with other WWOOFers from various countries.

During my stay, I plan to travel extensively along the Pacific side of Costa Rica and visit Panama for a week. I have pinpointed a couple towns to explore, and I will be carrying all my belongings in a backpack and trekking solo. If I'm lucky, I hope to view an active volcano, bathe in a waterfall and relax in a bubbling mud bath, and see the Panama Canal and some spectacular wildlife (toucans and sloths). I have decided to live a simple lifestyle by eating vegetarian, bathing minimally, not shaving and experiencing nature in the fullest.

4 comments:

  1. Alex,
    I loved reading your blog! Your personality really comes through.
    I know the people in Costa Rica will have a great volunteer in you!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alex,

    I'm delighted to have you have posted your blog. Have a super time, take good care, and I'll look forward to living "vicariously!"

    All my best,
    Florence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be safe! I will keep you in my prayers the whole time.
    Love,
    Lauren (Amanda's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex-
    I stumbled upon your blog. Our route is very similar to yours. I would like to know how you faired? Did your trip work out as planned? Did the Wwoofing go well? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete